The one and only heavyweight Iron Mike Tyson is coming back.
Roi Jones Jr. will fight at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California. and Mike Tyson, in an eight-round show on Sept. 12.
The battle will be broadcast on pay-per-view and multimedia platform Thriller.
According to the press release, the Thriller will also show the documentation of 10 parts that lead to the fight.
Last few months Iron Mike has caused a stir on social media as he posted footage from gym and how training. 15 years ago he has last fought whit Kevin McBride, and he was stopped in sixth rounds.
Tyson explained his reasoning for a return to the ring, in an appearance on ESPN’s First Take on Thursday.
“It’s because I can do it. And I believe other people believe they can do it too,” Tyson said. “Just because we are 54, it doesn’t mean that we have to start a new career and our lives are totally over. Not when you feel as beautiful as I do, and I’m sure that other people feel the same way.
“I never took that many punches. After the last fight I had, I left and I lived my life, and I’ve been through some experiences, and now I’m back here. I feel like I took better care of my body and my state of mind than most of the fighters before me that retired and came back.”
Winning titles at middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight, Jones (66-9), at his apex, was considered the most brilliant boxer. He had a sublime mix of speed, technique and ring intelligence.
Jones, 51, expressed interest in a possible fight with Tyson last month.
“I’ve been trying to enjoy retirement, but people don’t seem to want to let me retire,” Jones said. “They keep calling me, telling me that Tyson wants to come back, and that you’d be a great opponent for Mike.
“We always wanted to see it, but I would’ve preferred it back then. Mike is a hell of a specimen still. Still a problem to deal with. But at the same time, life is life, you only live once. You want to know what it’s like, you go in there and see. You still gotta see it.”
Mike Tyson was considered one of the most ferocious fighters in the world. In November 1986. Mike became the youngest heavyweight champion in history (at 20 years and four months) by stopping Trevor Berbick in two rounds.
Mike then ruled the division with impunity, making nine successful defenses and unifying the division before being upset by Buster Douglas in February 1990.
Tyson returned to boxing in 1995, after spending three years in prison for a rape conviction, and then won the WBC and VBA heavyweight titles in 1996. In the summer of 2002, Tyson’s last real big fight was when he was stopped in eight rounds Lennox Lewis.
As for Jones, his career declined after he was knocked out by Antonio Tarver in 2004. That began a three-bout losing streak, and a fighter who was once considered untouchable became more and more susceptible to getting knocked out.
Jones last appeared in a professional bout in February 2018, when he defeated Scott Sigmon by decision. The last recognizable name on his ledger, Enzo Maccarinelli, knocked out Jones in four rounds in Moscow in 2015.
Mike didn’t seem too concerned when asked about the risk he and Jones face fighting at their respective ages.
“We’re both accomplished fighters, we know how to take care of ourselves,” he said. “It’s an eight-round exhibition. And, listen, we’ll be all right. Trust me, we can take care of ourselves.”
The executive director of the California State Athletic Commission, in an interview with Yahoo Sports, Andy Foster, said that he believed there wouldn’t be headgear, but that the boxers would use 12-ounce gloves.
The Athletic reported on Thursday afternoon, that former NBA player Nate Robinson and YouTube star Jake Paul had agreed to fight on the undercard of Tyson-Jones.
For Robinson, a 3-time NBA slam dunk champion, this will be his first boxing match. Paul has fought twice, most recently notching a first-round technical knockout of fellow YouTube personality AnEsonGib (known as Gib) back in January.